Sunday, August 1, 2010

Pretty Sure That Falcon Tried To Poop On Me

I was trying (unsuccessfully) to photograph this falcon while I was kayaking and it is incredibly hard to get a good shot while in a rocking boat. It didn't help that the smarmy bastard was taunting me, at one point I passed directly underneath him, not more than three feet below, and it's now dawning on me that my feathery nemesis was most likely trying to excrement bomb me.

I'm trying to think of a good method to anchor myself without flipping the kayak and becoming bayou entertainment. There's always a situation where I see something very picture-worthy but not until it's too late to get the camera out before I pass it. I suppose me paddling frantically yet discreetly, so as not to frighten the bird away, back up river would probably appear humorous to anybody watching (creepos).

BUT, the beauty of 10 megapixels and a telephoto macro lens is that you can always crop stuff to zoom in and still have a decent 5-8 megapixel shot. This does not interfere with my personal ethics on post-processing in photography, 'cause I figure everything was in the shot I took, I just needed to be closer, I didn't add anything in or take anything away from the subject. Of course as I say this the little cartoon devil on my shoulder is giggling to himself. His name is Huggy by the way. Huggy McGubbins. The angel is Joe.

ANYWHOO, there's the bird, enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Cropping is fine. Everybody does it. =P Don't worry. You still took the shot. I've cropped a few original verticals into horizontals and it made all the difference. =)

    ReplyDelete